Listen as Greg Howell tells the origin story of Lean Construction
Welcome to episode #42 of The Construction Leading Edge Podcast from www.constructionleadingedge.com, which is a great interview with Greg Howell, a founding father of Lean Construction.
In this interview Greg shares some amazing insights and stories on the following topics:
- How the Lean Construction movement got started.
- Greg's experience as a Navy SeaBee, and how that influenced Lean.
- The impact of one commanding officer's leadership style, and how it changed Greg's approach to leadership.
- The books he recommends that you read
- A few paradigm shifts that construction leaders need to make.
- The difference between an order and a promise.
- One unexpected benefit of Lean principles that he can't quite explain yet.
- Why he only gave a few orders as a commanding officer in Vietnam...and one of them involved a monkey.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Power To The Edge - Command and Control In The Information Age
Team of Teams - McChrystal, Collins, Silverman and Chris Fussell. (Click here to listen to my interview with Chris Fussell)
Turn The Ship Around - David Marquet
Normal Accidents: Living With High Risk Technologies - Charles Perrow
41 Mistakes To Avoid When Dealing With Conflict At Work
Archisnapper - An app for creating good looking project reports and punchlists