Thu, 8 March 2018
Symptoms vs. problems. How to identify the underlying problems causing low productivity, and solve them for good. How do the big successful contractors do it?
Episode #73 of The Construction Leading Edge podcast from www.constructionleadingedge.com will show you a process you can use to get at the underlying problems to the symptoms you're dealing with, and solve them.
Here's the process outlined in this construction podcast:
1. Identify the symptom or issue you're dealing with.
2. Ask, "What could be causing that symptom or issue?" Make a list of Level 1 potential causes.
3. For each of those causes/issues, list the underlying problems that could be behind them (Level 2, Level 3, etc.)
4. Keep asking, "What could be causing that?" until you get to the basic underlying problem.
5. Design a system, process or plan that will solve the basic underlying problem.
Let's look at the example of Low Crew Productivity:
Level 1 Potential Cause: Lack of Material
Level 2 Causes behind the lack of material:
Solutions to the Level 2 Causes behind the lack of material:
Level 1 Potential Cause: Crew efficiency and production
Level 2 Causes behind low crew efficiency and production:
Solutions to the Level 2 Causes behind low crew efficiency and production:
Listen to the podcast to hear about the systems, processes and solutions you can use.
Resources mentioned in this construction podcast: